A delicious recipe that gives you the option to cook with your favourite line fish variety. Some great examples include Hake, Silvers, Kingklip, Yellowfin Tuna or Yellowtail available at our store outlets depending on availability.
Be sure to visit our Store Listing page and enquire about stock by contacting the store closest to you. A linefish is when a certain species of fish is harvested using a pole and line, often used to catch tuna and other large pelagic (midwater) species one fish at a time – a more sustainable fishing method.
- 2 by 200g line fish portions (scaled, deboned, portioned & trimmed)
- lightly season with salt & white pepper
- 100g fennel seeds
- 4 rooibos tea bags
- 3 TBLS brown sugar
- heavy duty foil
- Season fish on both sides. Cook & spray a steam tray and place the seasoned fish on the tray.
- In a separate tray, cover the entire inside with foil with the shiny side facing up.
- Tear tea bags and mix tea, fennel and sugar. Disperse evenly across the foil, put over medium heat until sugar burns and smoke starts.
- Place the steam tray with fish over the inside or on top of the other tray.
- Enclose with a lid or foil, trapping all the smoke inside. Allow to smoke for 10 minutes on the heat, then take off the heat (with fish still covered).
- After 10 minutes off the heat, remove the foil or lid and allow the fish to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the foil from the bottom tray and take burned fennel & rooibos mixture, allowing to dry. Then in a pestle & mortar or coffee grinder, grind to a fine texture.
- Season the fish with ground fennel & rooibos ash.
- In a 180°C oven, put fish in for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with sides of your choice and enjoy!!
Serving tip: Something with a high acid content like a pickle or citrus will compliment and balance the fish perfectly.
Become a member
Would you like more recipes like this emailed to you on a regular basis?